I always received emails from my fellow mountaineers about how to plan and budget their trip to the summit of Borneo
. After few months collecting informations, I can summarized the guide for you to follow.
First, do some homework. Decide on few of these things:
- How many people are going for the climb? How many adults and children? Children may have a different rate and fee for the climb.
- How many days are you going for the climb? You can choose either a 3D2N or 2D1N climbing package. This is important for you to decide, because for both of the packages will involve different places to stay and totally differrent transport arrangement.
- What is your budget range for the trip? I mean, what type of place would you like to stay in? Hostel or hotel? If you are going to climb Mount Kinabalu as a family, it might be wise for you to choose backpackers or travelers lodge.
Second, proceed to the booking of the place to stay during the climb with Sutera Sanctuary Lodges
(Kinabalu Park HQ and Laban Rata).
- If you choose to spend 3D2N for the climb, then book a place to stay in Kinabalu Park HQ on the first night and Laban Rata on the second night.
- If you choose to spend only 2D1N, you just have to book a place in Laban Rata for the second night. You have to choose wether to stay in Kota Kinabalu or Kundasang on the first night.
Third, find a place to stay in Kota Kinabalu for your convenience before and after the climb, regardless of which climbing package that you planned for.
Fourth, buy your airline tickets
for the trip. If you are an international traveler, make sure you come to Kota Kinabalu via Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). Then you will have to choose between AirAsia or Malaysia Airline System (MAS) to get to Kota Kinabalu.
Fifth, prepare your body for the vigorous activity. Do some exercise, at least 20 minutes of jogging, swimming or any cardio activity daily, 3 times a week. Be fit at least a month before the climb
Sixth, prepare your climbing equipment
. There are no specialize equipment to climb Mount Kinabalu, but by preparing early, it will make your climbing smooth.
Seventh, for transport to Kinabalu Park from Kota Kinabalu. This particular steps is a bit difficult to pre-planned, as it is a bit difficult to book a public transport before you go. It is either book it with a travel operator, or let it be until you come to Kota Kinabalu.
There are a lot of climbing options provided by the travel operator for you on the net However, none of them provide you with this kind of information. They might loose a lot of their clients if they tell you this D-I-Y climbing package.
Oh, please remember that there are differences between Malaysian and non-Malaysian for the rate and fees for the climb
. Just clarify with Sutera Sanctuary Lodges and Sabah Park.